1. Fax Machines and the Environment:
- Fax machines are energy vampires and consume more electricity than any other piece of office equipment, according to the environmental protection agency;
- Fax machines print everything, whether required or not - that's a big reason why in the US, annual office paper consumption is enough to build a 10-foot-high wall that's 6,815 feet long! That's greater than the distance between New York City and Tokyo;
- Most people don't recycle the machines themselves and therefore they end up in landfills. The same goes for the toner cartridges used to print the faxes and the paper and the ink dries on - straight to the landfill.
2. Fax Machines and Costs:
- At the low end, fax machines start at about $100 and at the high end in the thousands, if you're looking at an all-in-one;
- The extra phone line needed for the machine costs anywhere from $20 to $30/month
- Don't forget the cost of toner! Paper and the electricity to run it on average about $9/month (assuming you're running it for the entire year, using it modestly).
The MyFax referral program allows you to gift friends and employees with a free month of Internet fax service so they can see for themselves the advantages and benefits of Internet fax. If your friend decides to stay on, you get a free month too! More information on the MyFax refer-a-friend program can be found here.